Viral load testing is an essential part of effective HIV treatment. Although many governments have committed to providing routine viral load testing, not enough people know about the importance of getting the test.
Worse still, when people try to get a viral load test, it is frequently not available, or is unaffordable. You can change that.
Know your viral load - get a test
Inform yourself about viral load tests
- See the video and find out how a viral load test saved London Chuma’s life
- Find out why viral load tests are critical to your health.
Know your viral load
- Visit your regular clinic or health provider and ask for a viral load test now
- Put the date in your calendar, and make sure you get a viral load test at the same time, every year
- If you succeeded in getting a test, or were refused a test, or the cost was to high, please let us know. It will help us build a picture of the availability and accessibility of viral load testing.
- Share the short video on social media
- Like our facebook page
- Tweet ‘#be healthy check out this short film‘
Report it – whether you got a test or not
Let your friends know
Other useful links
Demand Viral Load testing - join our campaign
- Organize a viewing of the film
- Plan Community Advocacy to demand routine viral load tests. Use the Advocacy Toolkit (see section 6 page 91) to plan an advocacy activity.
- Plan a protest or a petition demanding routine viral load tests at your clinic. For ideas of how to do this look at the Advocacy Toolkit (see section 6 page 91)
Work with allies
- Identify other sympathetic organizations and get them to help.
- Ask someone influential (with government) to speak out, sign your petition, join your march.
Demand viral load tests from decision makers
Get allies to sign a public letter to your Ministry of Health or the appropriate decision makers in your country to demand routine viral load testing. See the details for your country. Use this sample letter (Word).
Inform health workers about viral load tests
Let the health workers in your area know about routine viral load testing, why it is important and what your government policy is. Encourage them to pass the information up to their bosses and managers. Use this information sheet for health workers (PDF) or use the information sheet to draft your own letter.
Let us know what you did
It will help our global advocacy to know what action you took. Please fill in the form to let us know your name, name of your group, and what you did.